Workout will be 10-20 minutes of technical coaching, during which we will do about 2500 meters of rowing, including drills for the finish and arms away motion, and a few 20-stroke pieces to warm us up.
WOD will be 6-8 x (1′ on, 1′ off) – see the CFI Rowing Club page for additional details.
Now that East Coast head racing is pretty much over and we are in the transition time between fall and winter, a bunch of Dartmouth alumni are doing a 10,000 Russian kettlebell swing challenge during the month of November. The basic program is to break it down into 20 workouts of 500 swings each at 53 lbs., varying reps between sets and interleaving other strength exercises between sets.
I’ve taken some additional liberties with it, trying to extend the endurance component by following more of a chipper/metcon model with less rest. Some examples are:
- 5 x 100 swings unbroken, 1 minute rest between sets.
- Interleave different types of swings, such as one-handed alternating arm swings, for variety.
- 5k row, then 10 sets of (50 swings, 50 air squats), no rest
- 10 sets of (50 swings, 1 minute plank hold), no rest
- etc. etc.
This is a challenging goal. I am currently at 1500 swings, but I think I will be able to get there by Thanksgiving.
Any other takers?
Here’s a killer WOD to do before eating lots of sweets and sitting around the Christmas tree, inspired by the “12 Days of Christmas.”
- 1200m or 120 strokes / 120 seconds rest
- 1100m or 110 strokes / 110 seconds rest
- 1000m or 100 strokes / 100 seconds rest
- 900m or 90 strokes / 90 seconds rest
- 800m or 80 strokes / 80 seconds rest
- 700m or 70 strokes / 70 seconds rest
- 600m or 60 strokes / 60 seconds rest
- 500m or 50 strokes / 50 seconds rest
- 400m or 40 strokes / 40 seconds rest
- 300m or 30 strokes / 30 seconds rest
- 200m or 20 strokes / 20 seconds rest
- 100m sprint !
Do not exceed your 2k split pace + 12 seconds. This sounds easy, but it’s not when your rest period is almost half your work time. If anything, this workout is like doing 7800 meters of work at about 5k pace over 35-40 minutes, which is quite hard.
The only appropriate soundtrack for this is Xbox Music’s Anti-Christmas playlist of punk songs!
Hang power snatch 5 x 3.
15 min AMRAP: 10 kettlebell swings @ 71lb, 10 burpees, 10 ring dips.
7 rounds + 20 reps
C2 warmup: 3000m, half pressure, plus 30 20-stroke pieces at full pressure.
Back Squats: 10@135, 10@135, 5@185, 5@185, 3@225, 3@225, 3@225.
Pistols: 2×20 each leg.
Planks: 3x Tabata 8x(20’on, 10’off) each of Regular / Left Side, Right Side, then 1 set of Tabata back extensions on a ball.
Slashes on pulley machine: 10 right, 10 left both legs kneeling, then repeat with narrow-stance 1 leg kneeling
The hardest part of this is by far the planks 🙂